Do you want free weekly help? Get
the next healthy recipe or nutrition tip

Spice Up Your Oatmeal

Plain oatmeal can get old. And flavored varieties have too much sugar. Start with Quaker Quick Oats (or any fast cooking oats) and make a different, warm, soothing oatmeal every day of the week! For extra sweetness, honey makes perfect.

Monday: Banana Pecan

Mix oats with milk and microwave. Add slices of fresh banana and coarsely chopped pecans

Tuesday: Cinnamon Dates

Mix oats with milk and microwave. Pit the dates and chop. Add to oatmeal and sprinkle some cinnamon. For a change, use raisins or dried apples

Wednesday: Cashew Mango

This is your tropical oatmeal. Mix oats with milk and microwave. Add cashews and chopped dried mango. Try dried pineapple pieces or apricots instead

Thursday: Vanilla Berry

Mix frozen berries, oats,Ā  milk and microwave. Sprinkle vanilla powder

Friday: Almond Cranberry

Mix oats with milk and microwave. Add slivered raw almonds and cranberries

What’s your favorite oatmeal mix?

Let's stay connected. Sign up for weekly updates!

{ 9 comments… add one }
  • Nader December 12, 2009, 11:28 am

Mmmmmmm Vanilla Berry.

• Sherin December 12, 2009, 9:39 pm

Hi Nour!

Great ideas-I’ll have to share them with Samir since he frequently enjoys oatmeal for breakfast. (His favorite toppings are walnuts and blueberries.)

• NourRD December 12, 2009, 9:47 pm

Thanks Sherin… walnuts and blueberries sound great!

• Farah October 3, 2010, 9:07 am

Hi Nour,
    In the supermarket there are more than one type of oats, how do I know which one to buy, health and taste wise
    thanks šŸ™‚

• Nour El-Zibdeh, RD October 4, 2010, 8:36 am

For nutrition, the less processed the better. I would avoid Instant oatmeal because these tend to have added sugar, salt, and preservatives. There are three other types: steel cut, rolled (old-fashioned), and quick. Read the link here for the difference in their processing( http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=54). In general, steel cut has a nuttier flavor, chewier, and requires more time to cook (30-45 minutes). This type looks like brown rice. Rolled oats are rolled and steamed beforehand so it takes less time to cook them (for me, 2 minutes in the microwave). Quick oats are rolled, steamed, then cut. They are finer in texture and cook even faster than rolled (old fashioned). There’s one opinion that steel cut is the best, I think they are the same. It’s really about which flavor and texture you are more likely to enjoy and eat. I personally like rolled oats (old fashioned).

• Farah January 3, 2012, 10:10 am

Hello Nour… I know this is an old posts, but i have decided to start eating healthy and I am finally enjoying oatmeal, finally cooked it the right way. however, I like salty stuff in the morning, so is there a salty recipe for oatmeal, can I add cheese, za’atar or any other breakfast – suitable – savoury recipes for Oatmeal. Also, is it true that you shouldn’t eat more than 3 times a week as it might cause constipation?
    Thank You Nour.. Looking forward for more of your recipes šŸ™‚

• Nour El-Zibdeh, RD January 3, 2012, 10:18 am

I’ve never hear such a thing about oatmeal. You can eat it every day. Like any other fiber-rich foods, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water to prevent constipation.

I’ve never had oatmeal savory. Why don’t you know try and let me know? These sound like good ideas. Maybe try scrambled egg.

• Farah January 5, 2012, 4:13 am

I read one with scrambles eggs, but it seemed to risky for me šŸ™‚ But I will try the other savoury ways and let you know šŸ™‚ Thanks for the help šŸ™‚