Do you want free weekly help? Get
the next healthy recipe or nutrition tip

Recipe: Fresh Corn Salsa

This is not your grocery store, 6-months-old packed jar of salsa! It’s made with all fresh ingredients. Nothing processed but everything flavorful. It’s great for a party starter, side dish, or with meals. Try it with grilled chicken or shrimp. Yum, yum, yum!

Ingredients:

• 1 can no-salt-added whole corn kernels, drained
  • 4 hard medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • Dash of salt

If you can’t find no-salt-added corn, rinse a regular can well with water before you use it. Alternatively, you can use frozen. Combine corn, tomatoes, onions, and bell pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle the cilantro, squeeze in lime juice, and season with salt (don’t overdo the salt!)

If you would like to use a food processor, start with the cilantro and chop well. Add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions, and use the pulse option to chop. Make sure you don’t over process the vegetables-they’re much better chunky. Remove from processor bowl and place in a serving bowl. Mix in the corn, lime juice, and some salt.

This is perfect for the nice spring and warm summer days. One of my friends says that summer makes her want to eat fresh and healthy. So my question for you is:

Does spring equal to fresh, light, fruit-y and vegetable-y to you?

Let's stay connected. Sign up for weekly updates!

{ 10 comments… add one }
  • tasteofbeirut April 26, 2010, 10:33 am

Nour
    This is the type of salsa I love to eat I can’t stand the type in a jar with that canned taste!
    WE call baba ghannouj m’tabbal in Lebanon; I don’t think there’s any difference!
    I just called it baba ghannouj because people in the US know that name!

• farah April 26, 2010, 10:53 am

ok, this salsa is incredible! so tasty, fresh and light

if you add some black beans, i think it would be the most perfect-est (yes i made up a word) topping for fish tacos. The salsa is light, and full of flavor. The lime juice just makes every other ingredient pop

AMAZING.

• Nicole, RD April 26, 2010, 12:14 pm

Delicious! I love corn and tomatoes together any which way! And a salsa is so versatile, especially in the spring and summer months. I definitely up my fruit and vegetable intake in the warmer weather and I love it!

• Amena April 26, 2010, 5:27 pm

yum! Your pics are great too! bravo šŸ™‚

• rebecca subbiah April 26, 2010, 8:07 pm

oh what a great salsa and adore from scratch food your photography is fab as well lol Rebecca

• Nour El-Zibdeh, RD April 26, 2010, 9:22 pm

Joumana: Thanks for stopping by and answering the baba ghanouj question šŸ™‚

Farah: thanks for the tip. Yum, with black beans on fish tacos! love it!

Thanks Nicole: I do eat more fruits and veggies too and feel “lighter” and love it too.

Amnah and Rebecca: thanks for the comments. I’ve read tips on food photography for bloggers and the one thing I learned is to take pictures in day time using natural light. It makes a huge difference! the downside: no pictures when it’s cloudy šŸ™ I fix the colors (just a little) on iPhoto. Maybe I need to learn photo-shop but wish I have the time.

• Nadji April 27, 2010, 3:51 am

Une salade bien fraiche et bien croquante.
    j’aime beaucoup.
    See soon.

• Nour El-Zibdeh, RD April 27, 2010, 8:46 pm

Thanks Nadji! I’m not fluent in French, but I guess what you are saying is: a salad that is cooling and crispy and that you like it a lot! LOL if that’s right, then my elementary French is kicking! Thanks for stopping by!

• DashDietPlan June 16, 2011, 5:39 pm

Can I simply say what a aid to seek out someone who truly knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely know easy methods to carry an issue to mild and make it important. Extra individuals have to read this and understand this facet of the story. I cant imagine youre no more in style since you definitely have the gift.

• cheap nhl jerseys March 31, 2012, 10:50 am

Your website is beautiful, which is popular among customers. I’ll come to visit again. Thank you very much!