Do you want free weekly help? Get
the next healthy recipe or nutrition tip

Creamy and Crunchy Tuna Salad–Sans the Mayonnaise

If you thought you should never eat creamy smooth tuna salad, think again. I used to think this way until I made this salad for lunch few days ago. It was a hit. The secret ingredient–which won’t be a secret anymore–is the Greek yogurt. I used Chobani vanilla Greek yogurt.

The hint of sweetness in it complements the sweet tartness of the apples. The smooth creaming yogurt goes perfectly against the crunchy walnuts and apples. Add a little bit of zest with freshly squeezed lemon juice, and you’ve got a lunch to die for.

Recipe serves 4.

Ingredients:

• 2 7-oz cans chunk light tuna
  • 2/3 c vanilla Greek yogurt (hubby bought non-fat, but low fat works just as fine too)
  • 1/2 medium sized organic red apples, such as Fuji or Gala (apples are in the Dirty Dozen so buy organic)
  • 1/4 c chopped English walnuts (you can add more)
  • 1/3 c sliced scallions (green onions)
  • Juice of half of a lemon

Use a fork to break the tuna chunks in a bowl. Add all ingredients and stir. Serve. That easy!

I toasted a couple of slices of whole wheat bread and had the salad for lunch. You can serve with whole wheat crackers for a get together or an appetizer.

And the nutrition info of this salad is great! Here’s what you will get with one serving (1/4th of the recipe):

186 kcal, 6 g total fat (will have more if you use low fat vs non-fat yogurt), 1 g saturated fat, 7 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.

The only disappointing thing is the sodium content, which was 304 g. It’s not crazy high but I would’ve like my meal to have less. The sodium is coming from the canned tuna, so next time you go grocery shopping, try to find canned tuna without added salt. I never looked for it before, and honestly never looked at the sodium content of canned tuna before, so I’m glad doing the analysis for this recipe opened my eyes.

My bubby loved this salad, but my soon-to-be 2 years old toddler wasn’t sold on the tuna. I’ll try again later.

Have a great Monday!

Let's stay connected. Sign up for weekly updates!

{ 10 comments… add one }
  • Emily September 27, 2010, 10:24 pm

I love your blog, Nour! Great recipes and practical nutrition advice. I am adding you to my blogroll. šŸ™‚

• Nour El-Zibdeh, RD September 28, 2010, 12:04 pm

Thank you Emily. Will have to check yours too!

• rebecca subbiah September 27, 2010, 10:45 pm

yum adore tuna salad and nice idea to use yogurt

• Nour El-Zibdeh, RD September 28, 2010, 12:05 pm

Thanks Rebecca.. it was good! I love tuna salad with olive oil but had missed the creamy one until this recipe šŸ™‚

• Farah September 30, 2010, 3:46 pm

Thanks Nour, it sounds interesting. what is an equivalent for the vanilla Greek yoghurt in the middle east (Jordan)
    Thanks

• Farah October 4, 2010, 8:56 am

That is great, ok…I was always worried about using yoghurt with Tuna or fish in general because of what we were told as kids about mixing fish with yoghurt.
    So, Greek yoghurt is almost like zabadi laban (which is thicker and more creamy)
    cant wait to try it šŸ™‚
    Thanks Nour

• Bett Wiley February 28, 2011, 1:16 am

Sounds like a wonderful salad. But, for those of us who also need to be casein free, mayo works better than yoghurt. If there’s some reason to stay away from mayo, do you have another suggestion that’s dairy free?

• Pam February 28, 2011, 2:19 pm

I love spicey brown mustard & tuna! A little garlic & some black pepper & I’m set!

• Izola Allmand March 30, 2012, 3:04 am

Hello there, simply changed into alert to your blog through Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels. I will appreciate in the event you proceed this in future. Numerous folks might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!