It’s the time for the Recipe Redux Challenge. This month’s theme:
“Small Bites to Celebrate a Big Event” – It’s our 1st birthday! And thanks to you, our enthusiastic members, we’ve deem this first year of The Recipe ReDux to be a rousing success! To celebrate we’re following one of the top restaurant trends of recent years: Small bite desserts. Show us your favorite mini-portion sweet treat!
We watch Chopped on the Food Network often, and one comment a judge once made that stuck with me is on dessert portions. The right portion is big enough to satisfy the sweetness and richness you crave from a dessert but small enough to keep you wishing you had more.
Very true. The first few bites of a food are the best tasting ones, and satisfaction and enjoyment tend to decline as you eat. If the portion is too large and you eat too much, the last few bites won’t taste as good, as special.
My dessert is actually two; orange blossom infused creme fraiche and chocolate hazelnut mousse. The creme fraiche has a subtle sweetness that’s a perfect match for the very sweet chocolate hazelnut mousse. Orange blossom water is used often in Middle Eastern desserts, and its aroma just brings back good memories.
Make sure you get orange blossom water, and not rose water. The latter is a bit bitter.
The chocolate hazelnut mousse feels like a cheat. Nutella did the job!
On the first night, we had both desserts together in Turkish coffee cups. The second day, we layered the creme fraiche with chopped fresh peaches and the chocolate mousse with chopped fresh strawberries in small punch glasses. While I loved the fruity version, especially in the summer, the first way felt more restaurant-y and trendy. Plus, I was able to focus more on the creme and mousse, which ultimately gave me more satisfaction.
What are you in the mood for?
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- ¼ c buttermilk
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 3 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- unsalted pistachios for garnish (optional)
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 c Nutella
- 1 dark chocolate baking square for garnish (optional)
- Fresh peaches and strawberries, chopped (optional)
- For the creme fraiche: in a large glass jar, combine the heavy whipping cream and buttermilk. Stir, cover, and leave in room temperature for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, add the orange blossom water, honey, and cinnamon. Stir, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve in small Turkish coffee cups or shot glasses and top with some pistachios. Or layer with fresh fruit in small punch glasses.
- For the chocolate hazelnut mousse: combine the heavy whipping cream and Nutella in a medium size bowl or the stand mixer bowl if you have one. Using an electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve in small Turkish coffee cups or shot glass. Or layer with fruit in small punch glasses.
- To make chocolate shavings, use a peeler and 'shave' the chocolate bar until you have enough. Sprinkle over mousse.
‘); // ]]>