Medical Nutrition Detox Program
Detox sounds like a crazy trend or fad, but it’s not. Your liver is constantly detoxing since the day you were born. As the years go by, you accumulate toxins from many different sources through food and the environment. You also accumulate damaging free radicals as by-products of normal reactions. Without proper nutrients to support complete liver detoxification pathways, your body will struggle with proper chemical elimination and accumulate toxins.
Who should do a detox program?
Everyone will benefit from a detox program. If you complain of any of the symptoms below, your body may be having more trouble with detoxification and will greatly benefit from this program.
- Fatigue and sluggishness
- Brain fog or difficulty focusing
- Restlessness or hyperactivity
- Anxiety, irritability, or mood swings
- Insomnia or trouble falling back to sleep
- Weight gain or difficulty losing weight
- Water retention or bloating
- Muscle and joint pain
- Skin issues like eczema, acne, psoriasis
- Dependent on sweets, carbs, and/or coffee for energy
- Intense sugar and other cravings
- Post nasal drip or frequent need to clear throat
Since most people do not eat perfect diets all the time and don’t live in perfectly organic and natural environments all the time, a complete and short-term detox program will help you body and liver reset and reboot.
Your liver also eliminates free radicals. Free radicals are toxic compounds that develop daily and naturally as your body is exposed to oxygen. The only way to completely stop free radicals from developing is to stop breathing! Since this is impossible, a diet packed with antioxidants is very important. A medical nutrition detox program once or twice a year will boost liver detoxification and prevent a build-up of free radicals.
How does a medical nutrition liver detoxification program work?
Your liver is the main organ that helps your body eliminate toxins, waste, and by-products of metabolism and other pathways that occur in the body. To complete the detox job, the liver goes through two phases of detoxification; phase 1 and phase 2. These two phases work together to clear out compounds that are foreign and harmful. Each phase needs specific nutrients to progress efficiently.
In phase 1, a toxic compound will go through a series of reactions until it becomes an ‘intermediate’ compound. Phase 1 reactions need vitamins C, E, B2, B3, B6, B12, folate, glutathione (antioxidant) and flavonoids (antioxidants). Without these nutrients, detoxification cannot start. Interestingly, the intermediate compound that develops after going through phase 1 is more toxic than the initial compound your body started with. This is why phase 2 and a complete detox program are very critical.
In phase 2, specific enzymes take this intermediate and break it further until it becomes a water-soluble compound. At this point, your body is ready to get rid of it through the urine, stool, and sweat. Nutrients that boost that phase include amino acids from protein foods and sulfur from foods like onion, garlic, and cruciferous vegetables. Magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin B5, vitamin B12, folic acid, choline, glutathione (antioxidant), and few others are also needed.
Phase 2 is very important because without it, your body will be stuck with intermediates that are more toxic than what you started out with. A program or an eating plan that only promotes phase 1 pathways will do more harm than good. A complete medical nutrition detox program is critical to eliminate your symptoms.
What kind of toxins do our bodies eliminate?
We live in relatively clean environments compared to decades ago. However, our modern-day life and luxuries contribute different types of toxins. Here’s a list of some compounds your liver has to eliminate:
- Pesticides and herbicides in food
- Rancid oils (old oils, vegetable oils, fried foods),
- Preservatives, food colorings, artificial sweeteners and artificial flavors
- Chloride, fluoride, and bromide in water
- Polyphenols (like BPA and others): found in dental sealants, white composite dental fillings, water bottles, sports equipment, the lining of water pipes, the lining of food cans, and sales receipts
- Organic pollutants
- Car fumes
- Cigarette smoking and second-hand smoke
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications, including acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and others usually considered harmless
- Recreational drugs
- Chemicals from hobbies like painting
- Chemicals from house renovation projects (carpet, paint, treated wood floors, treated furniture)
- Lawn and backyard treatments
- Make up and beauty products
- Cleaning products
- Microbes, pathogens and their toxins
- Free radicals that develop naturally in the body as natural waste products of pathways
While your liver is already naturally cleaning out all these compounds and by-products, a complete medical nutrition detox program will boost this natural ability, provide all nutrients necessary for complete detoxification, and ensure proper elimination.
What does the program involve?
- An initial consultation for a complete medical, nutrition, and lifestyle assessment. We will ensure that you’re the right fit for the program (see below if the program is not a good fit for you) and provide a meal plan, recipes, snack ideas, and specific instructions.
- A minimum of 14-21 days of clean eating that involve eliminating certain foods and emphasizing detox-boosting foods. To help you out, you will receive a copy of my cookbook, The Detox Way, Everyday Recipes to Feel Energized, Focused, and Physically and Mentally Empowered. You will be encouraged to maintain this way of eating as a lifestyle. See videos below that talk about the top 12 foods that help your body detox.
- 14-21 days of meal-replacement shake and supplements.** You will be drinking a detox shake and taking a packet of detox capsules either once or twice a day, depending on your symptoms and your medical history. The products are available in our office in Herndon or can be shipped to you.
- A shaker bottle
- For best results, you will be encouraged to adopt a detox-boosting lifestyle that includes epsom salt baths, morning cleansing drink, proper hydration, reduced electronic use, and reduced exposure to chemicals (as much as possible)
- A follow-up consultation 14-21 days after starting the program to review results and symptoms reductions. We will discuss future long-term goals, including trial of foods that were eliminated, continued elimination of some foods, dietary changes, supplement recommendations, and/or further testing.
- Email support throughout the duration of the program
Is it possible to detox just with food?
Yes and no. A clean detox-boosting diet is the foundation of this program. And if you need help eating detox-boosting foods, get my cookbook, The Detox Way, Everyday Recipes to Feel Energized, Focused, and Physically and Mentally Empowered.
While food is the core and foundation of this plan, it might not be enough. Our food supply may not be as nutrient-packed as we would like it to be, and we have no way to guarantee that any meal plan contains ALL the nutrients in the RIGHT amounts to completely escort all the toxic chemicals and compounds out.
Sometimes, you need detox program that’s stronger than food alone. Some people have genetic variations that slow down detoxification so they tend to accumulate more toxins over time. Others have spent years in jobs or doing hobbies that expose them to more chemicals than the average person. Some hold on to extra hormones (like estrogen) that need to be cleared out. Some have been taking too many medications over too many years. We are all different.
For these reasons, following a complete and carefully designed medical nutrition detox program once or twice a year will help your liver reset and prevent chemical and toxin build up.
Watch these two videos that talk about the top 12 foods that help your liver detox.
Who should not do this program?
While everyone will benefit from detoxification, there are certain conditions where it’s advisable to not do a supplement-based program:
- Pregnant women or trying to conceive
- Nursing moms
- People with kidney problems and/or kidney disease (because you need to be able to clear out waste through urine)
A pregnant or nursing mom will benefit greatly and is at no risk from eating the foods that will help your liver naturally detox. Once you are no longer pregnant or nursing, we can add the complete medical nutrition detox program. If you have kidney problems, a diet that is suitable to kidney disease is advisable and it’s best to consult with your doctor or specialized renal dietitian.
People who can follow the program but need specific modifications:
- People with severe constipation. We will need to work on improving gut function and ensuring proper elimination and bowel movements before we start the program. The specific steps differ from one person to another, and the best way to proceed is to schedule an individual consultation first.
- People with liver disease. Depending on your situation, you may need certain modifications to the program. The best way to proceed is to schedule an individual consultation first.
The total cost of the program is $499, which includes:
- One initial and one follow up consultations
- Hard-copy of The Detox Way cookbook
- 14-21 days of meal-replacement shakes and supplements
- A shaker bottle
- Program booklet
- Inbody complete body composition measurements (for local Herndon, VA visits)
- Unlimited email and phone support during the program
*The complete medical nutrition detox products aren’t available without consultations. We want to make sure you’re a right fit for the program and ensure proper implementation of the protocol.
*If you’re local to Northern VA and have a health insurance we participate with, ask us how you can reduce your cost.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The medical nutrition detox product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. While we have great success with previous clients, your results may differ. If you complete the program and still complain of symptoms, it doesn’t mean that the program didn’t work or that you wasted your time or money. Rather, something else is contributing to the problem. We would have already ruled out detoxification problems, and the next step would be to dig deeper. I will continue to work with you until we find the core of the problem and help you to feel great again.